Friday, 18 July 2008

James Randi on why the million-dollar challenge will end in 2010

Dear reader, our blog has moved to a new address.

Do come on over (and change your bookmarks accordingly): rationalist.org.uk


It's was a bit quiet on this blog last week as we were in the middle of moving our office around, but here's a little treat you may have missed. Many of you will be aware of James Randi's challenge, which offers a prize of $1 million to anyone who can prove they have paranormal abilities.

It's been going since the 60's (it started with a $1000 prize) and while many have tried, unsurprisingly no one has succeeded and our rational understanding of the Universe, or at least the fact that you can't speak to the dead or make things levitate, remains unaltered. Randi's decided to end the challenge in 2010 so the money can be put to more worthwhile uses, and we asked him to explain why.

5 comments:

George Jelliss said...

The link doesn't lead to anything. Just a warning about Active X.

Paul Sims said...

It seems to be working fine on our computers, and the URL is correct. Very strange, but it's certainly not a problem at our end.

Anonymous said...

Me too. Just a bit of an intro and then nothing. This must be evidence of the paranormal.

Paul Sims said...

That is very strange as no problems when I click on it. I've asked our website designer to take a look...

Paul Sims said...

There was a problem with the article for those using Internet Explorer - it's sorted now so try the link again