Wednesday, 28 May 2008

Californian Ford dealership tries the bigoted approach to advertising

Dear reader, our blog has moved to a new address.

Do come on over (and change your bookmarks accordingly): rationalist.org.uk

I thought I'd round off the day with a bizarre story I came across on PZ Myers' ever-excellent blog Pharyngula.

Kieffe and Sons, a Ford car dealership in Mojave, California has produced a radio ad which, rather than pointing out, say, the quality of their service or the range of cars on offer, instead chooses to play on the stat that "86% of Americans say they believe in God" and suggest that they're not interested in custom from the remaining 14%:

"But did you know that 86% of Americans say they believe in God? Since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians, who believe in God, we at Keiffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don't tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up. I guess maybe I just offended 14% of the people who are listening to this message. Well, if that is the case then I say that's tough, this is America folks, it's called free speech. None of us at Keiffe & Sons Ford are afraid to speak out. Keiffe & Sons Ford on Sierra Highway in Mojave and Rosamond, if we don't see you today, by the grace of God, we'll be here tomorrow."

It's certainly a novel approach to marketing - "come and visit our good old traditional bigoted Christian car dealership. You won't see any filthy atheists/Muslims/Jews/Hindus/others hanging around here while we're giving you the hard sell". Not sure why they feel it's going to make anyone buy but, as PZ points out, you can't rule out the possibility that it might prove successful.

One atheist blogger tried writing directly to Ford to complain about this rogue dealership, but as her post shows this didn't exactly prove successful.

Here's a YouTube clip with the audio from the ad:

2 comments:

Dologan said...

Apparently, they seem to think that the only God that can be believed in is the Christian one, since if 86% of Americans believe in God and the same 86% is Christian, only Christians can believe in God (in America, at least). I wonder what they think American Jews and Muslims believe in? YHWH and Allah, respectively, I suppose?

Steve Olsen said...

Ahh, yes. Car dealers and their shenanigans. Visit this car scam archive to see it all.